Picture of Kacwin's parish church.
Off the main road between Lapsze Nizne and Niedzica
Castle in Polish Spisz is Kacwin, Poland. It is an isolated village
very near the Polish/Slovak border. Before 1920 it was actually
a Slovak village named "Kacvin". But it started in
the 14th century as a Germanic village named "Katzenwinkle"
-- the meaning of which is literally "cat's whisker".
Return to Main
Return to Village
Kacwin's population of less than 1200 makes a living mostly from
farming the steep hillsides along the Kacwin brook that runs
through the village. There is also a 200-year-old mill and a
waterfall near the village center. On the far edge of town next
to the Slovak border fence is a small Polish army outpost. The
tall peaks of the Tatra mountains are very close here.
The small Baroque-style church in the village was originally
built in the early 1400s soon after the town was settled. It
is a Roman Catholic church known as "All Saints Church".
Many of the headstones in the nearby cemetery still have German-sounding
names on them.