Lipnica Wielka, Poland
A local hay wagon passing in front of St. Lukas
Roman Catholic church in Lipnica Wielka, Poland. The church dates
back to 1769.
Lipnica Wielka, Poland was known as Velka Lipnica,
Slovakia prior the Slovak/Polish border change in 1920. In both
languages the name of the village means "greater Lipnica".
The word "Lipnica" is the name of the brook which runs
the length of the town and derives its name from the "Lipa"
or local species of Linden tree which grows along its banks. Lipnica
Wielka is currently the largest town in the region known locally
as "Orawa". Orawa comes from the Slovak "Orava"
which was once the county name before the border change. The population
of Lipnica Wielka is now around 5,300. Most inhabitants are still
farmers. The village is almost ten miles long and was first settled
by fleeing peasants from Zywiec, Poland in the early 1600's. Lipnica Mala or "lesser"
Lipnica is a village nearby built along the banks of Syhlec creek.
It is smaller, but also settled by Zywiec peasants. Many of the
same family surnames are common to both these villages.
Return to Main
Return to Village